Who are you?
Who would you be if you weren’t a lawyer?
You may struggle with the identity of being “a lawyer”…
especially if you want to DO and BE something different.
From contemporary neuroscience we know:
Our language not only describes our reality, it DEFINES it.
When you say, “I am a lawyer” it reinforces the belief that is who you are. It defines you.
Your subconscious accepts it and stops looking for new possibilities.
Yet it can feel tight, like a too small pair of jeans, impinging your ability to breathe and move freely.
If you want to grow beyond that and experience more spaciousness, here are some suggestions:
1. Grab a piece of paper and write down all the other things that you are…
- I am a woman.
- I am a friend.
- I am sister.
- I am a mother.
- I am a spouse or partner.
2. Then write “I do lawyering.”
What does thinking of lawyering as a verb instead of a noun, do for you?
Does it open you up a little bit? You also do many other things each day!
List some of the other things you do…
- I do yoga.
- I walk the dog.
- I play with my kids.
- I cook healthy dinners.
- I donate my time and money to causes I believe in.
3. Tell yourself a new “I am…” statements.
It doesn’t have to be something you do for money.
It could even be an aspirational “I am…” statement.
- I am at the very least, competent and hard-working.
- I am someone who loves learning new languages.
- I am a curious world traveler.
- I am a photographer.
- I am an entrepreneur, growing a business that serves clients beautifully and makes me crazy happy!
When you start to loosen the bonds of a singular identity, what could open up for you?
Remember: Language does not just describe your reality, it determines it.
Our words have the power to shape our lives.
Choose them carefully.
Now, let me re-ask the opening question: Who are you?
Are you ready to gain clarity and freedom? Start with your FREE copy of. . .
11 Resources to Help You Leave (big) Law for a Life That You LOVE!
- Stories of lawyers who’ve made their move
- Podcasts that unlock a world of possibilities
- Courage, tools and communities to bolster you
How good would it feel to regain control of your time, career and life?
Want more information? Click below to schedule your call.